Drivers are encouraged to seek their own professional tax advice in relation to the lodgement of their Annual GST Return or Quarterly BAS Statement.
From the GoCatch Services Agreement, when a payment of a fare by a passenger is made to GoCatch we act in our capacity as your limited payment collection agent. The payment is considered the same as a payment by the passenger of the fees payable to you.
GST and Ridesharing
The ATO have released guidance in December 2015 stating:
“If you provide ride-sourcing services, you are providing taxi travel services. This is because you make a car available for public hire and use it to transport passengers for a fare.
Under GST law, if you carry on an enterprise and provide taxi travel services in that enterprise, you are required to be registered for GST regardless of your turnover.”
You can read more about the The ATO Guidance.
Gocatch Agreement definitions:
- The driver acts as the Principle.
- GoCatch acts as the Agent.
- The Principle (the driver) has the financial relationship with the passenger. GoGatch acts as an Agent and collects the funds on behalf of the driver.
- The Principle (the driver) is liable for any GST payable on the total fare.
- GoCatch (the agent) is liable for any GST on the GoCatch fees (GoCatch commission).
- The Principle (the driver) is entitled for any input tax credits from any creditable acquisitions made.
GoCatch GST reports.
We make available, via the Driver Portal, a history of all transactions. Drivers can filter these jobs to specific period. For any period we will advise:
- Total Sales (GST inclusive)
- Total Creditable Acquisitions (GST Inclusive)
Total Sales include:
- Job Fares - Taxable supply is between the driver and the passenger
- Passenger abandon fees - Taxable supply is between the driver and the passenger
Creditable Acquisitions include:
- Job Bonuses - a creditable acquisition and input tax credits are available.
- Driver referral bonuses - a creditable acquisition and input tax credits are available.
- Rebates (eg phones) - a creditable acquisition and input tax credits are available.
- Refunds for Drivers authority cards, RMS history, etc - a creditable acquisition and input tax credits are available.